Wednesday 5 April 2017

Letter D- Donation


Print
Okay, so here’s a scenario.

There are a few volunteers who are working for an NGO and are out on a sunny day to collect donations. While they’re out seeking it, most of the times they’re shooed away. And no one is really interested in giving them anything, knowing the fact that they’re genuine. Call it reluctance or sheer laziness or just the idea of giving it right away at the call of it is not their thing!

Then they see a big bungalow and have an unsaid hope this time, but here too they don’t get anything! Have people really become so selfish? That when it comes to doing something good, not a single house has shown some interest of any kind?

The first thing that comes to the volunteer’s mind is the shallowness of the society! Everyone wants to show they’re noble but when given a chance, they back off!  

Thoughts like Couldn’t they give or what? It was just a petty amount! Such a huge house and yet nothing to give to the poor! Shame on them!

Well, the volunteers were kind of forced to think that way! Hearing a no from every single house is just too much!

Now let’s see the other side: The Bright Side.

The house they knocked was yours.

Now, you don’t want to be judged right? Here’s why:

So you have a good house, good parents, good friends, and good education and so on. Life is good. And you are a good person. Kind, generous, compassionate and you work hard in everything that comes your way in life.

You are kind towards your staff members as well and keep donating them with everything in your capacity. Serving the ones who serve you first, is your motto! You don’t believe in making huge sums of donations to the charity houses. For you feel charity begins at home. What is the point of making thousands of donations in the name of poor when you can’t give a single penny to your house staff or assist them when they’re in need!

And so you do everything that you can... distribute clothes (and mind you, not the worn out ones) but the new ones! You’ve sponsored your maid’s daughters’ school fees because she can’t afford, you teach your driver’s son for free and he is doing really good, you keep distributing sweets and food from time to time to your house help, you provide financial assistance to them if need be and so on! Doing this gives you immense gratification!

That’s the reason why you never encourage people who come to ask for donations to your home. And then you get judged big time!

There are a lot of organizations and NGO’s which are doing a fabulous job when it comes to the upliftment of the unprivileged and they have volunteers who work for them day and night. You acknowledge their work but you never make donations. Call it trust or having that personal touch in giving it personally or whatever you like. But you just don’t feel like. Maybe one day you will, but not today!

Got some perspective here? Does it ring a bell to you? I’m not sure how many of you will be able to relate to this post, but I’ve seen such generous families being judged for not contributing to them! And this post is dedicated to them!

Cheers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to my Blog! I’m so happy to have you here! This A to Z Challenge, I’m going to give you a ride and take you to all the places untouched! My theme this year is Let’s see the other Side’where I’ll be sharing about the daily nuances that we’ve been seeing in the same way since 1990’s! (:P) But this time you’re going to ponder over it a bit differently.

Feel free to express your thoughts and I'd be all ears!

I hope you have a great time here!

47 Discussion

  1. I usually help people for namesake to those who come to my house. But like you said, I prefer more to help out individually or people I could see/know personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the kind of scams going on today I believe one should donate to charity and be involved in it as well. Keep checking the status on how the money is utilized or if the child you sponsored got the care or not. I don't think people should judge, charity is a very personal thing. In Sydney we have donation boxes in every suburb where you can donate all your clothes and other stuffs. I think that's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Even after donating money to charities, it is advisable to keep a check on how one's fund was utilised!

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. I think for a lot of people, myself included, we already have chosen charities to donate to. Also, being totally honest, it would annoy me having people knocking on my door asking for money - we're lucky here that it doesn't happen.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes its easier and more saitsfactory to help out people you see daily. I believe in doing what I can for my help and others around. Donations when they come calling - I am spectical about their genuineness as there are so many frauds daily!

    Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    D is for Dolphin Delight in Goa #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it satiating to help the ones in need by own hands? You get to see the smile on their beautiful faces and that totally makes it all worth!

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. Most people avoid giving donations to NGOs because NGOs are known for keeping money for themselves. At least majority of them. We are always more open to helping out the people in need directly.
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ www.mysteriouskaddu.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Given the number of scams going on, it's sometimes good to check on authenticity!

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. I get what you say.donations depend on the organisation to which we want to give. With rampant number of organisations seeking donation I believed I should contribute to the one in whose cause I have faith in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could relate with it! And yes, there are too many of them and so it becomes a bit difficult to find out about the authenticity of it!

      Cheers

      Delete
  7. If I have to donate, I would give it directly to the organization that I trust. Definitely not to people who I see in the streets, volunteering. Don't get me wrong but I have seen people who fake it. There are those who pretend to be volunteers to collect money. After realizing that, I have become a little careful to who I donate to and how.

    Doctors and Dentists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O I totally second with you! I too would give it to my house help or would personally make the donation! One needs to act carefully in these scenarios!

      Cheers

      Delete
  8. Somehow we are vary of the people who ask for donations on phone or by meeting you in person and that's because we are not sure of their authenticity or whether the money would be used rightly. We donate to Plan International which is a charity for the education of the girl child and it's done through husband's earlier company. And we do donate at Mother Teresa Home and SOS Village from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really kind of you! And the best part is you know where your money is going and nothing wrong is being done in the name of charity!

      Cheers

      Delete
  9. I think some of us don't trust those who come to our house asking for donations because there are so many stories and scams we hear about. Although I may have once or twice donated a few things hoping it will reach the right hands. We never know, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust is the biggest factor for not donating! Also, when one does so much of charity in their homes, they kind of feel happy that ways and don't have the urge of making further donations!

      Cheers

      Delete
  10. A Valid Topic which has bothered me often. I really love helping anyone to the best of my abilities but many a times I am left with the vague question that how genuine is the guy who just rang the bell or called up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! One can't just simply give away money by random people ringing our door bells!

      Cheers

      Delete
  11. Good points Geetika. You have taken a deep dive into both sides of this often-mis-understood coin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ish! I'm so happy to know that!

      Cheers

      Delete
  12. I think when people donate, they want to know exactly where their money is going. I prefer to volunteer my time than just money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Volunteering time too is a big thing! Not everyone appreciates that, but the one who is benefitted gives all their blessings to the person!

      Cheers

      Delete
  13. I never donate to those volunteers where there are no proofs about the NGO really working for them. We donate to an organisation which gives food to underprivileged kids and we have seen it. Some valid points Geetika.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is very refreshing to see someone presenting the perspective of those who are on either side during such incidences. Both have their own valid points of view, which should be respected.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is always necessary to see both sides before arriving to any particular conclusion. Judging just based on individual opinion is hardly fair!

    Divya Discovers a nearby Drawing Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true and sounds fair as well!
      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Cheers

      Delete
  16. I usually donate to a charity of my choice, but I go there personally and do it, just because I feel it should reach the right hands. I've heard stories of how people misuse the money, clothes etc and that it never reaches the neeedy, hence the suspicion.

    Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! That makes sense and feel the right thing to be done!

      Cheers

      Delete
  17. I usually prefer donating in kind at old age homes and orphanages as opposed to making cash donations at NGOs. Lot of scams going on lately for me to decide on giving only in kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very noble thing to do! God bless you!

      Cheers

      Delete
  18. Yes, I prefer doing it in my individual capacity rather than giving it out to random unknown NGO
    http://www.nehatambe.com/delight-what-delights-a-toddler/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting theme, looking from the other side indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll give a personal example here if it helps. My parents did a lot of charity when they were able, including helping 40 families flourish by getting them jobs abroad. Now, in their old age, what strikes them the most is that not a single one of them even phone to see if they are dead or alive. Noone is asking for money but atleast a kind word once in a decade for the man who helped save your family.

    I say this because it influenced me negatively. I don't do free charity anymore. There maybe deserving people no doubt but the scars I saw my family endure did affect me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really sad to know, Roshan! I totally get it when you express it all! There are certain things in life which make an indelible mark in our heads and no matter what, it just refuses to leave!

      Anyway, charity comes from within! It can't be forced upon anyone!

      Cheers

      Delete
  21. I get calls - proper calls and kids from college sounding folks ask for donations. The examples they give are scary and I do not trust them. I never will. I am not rich but I am okay to be judged if that pleases those NGO folks. But not today and never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you shouldn't think on that! It's completely okay to do so! One should donate only if they feel like and not just for the sake that it has been asked for!

      Cheers

      Delete
  22. While donating for a cause is good getting duped for it is not. The scams are ever increasing and i often get these spam calls.
    Twinkling Tina Cooks
    Tina Basu

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am the family you have spoken about, GG. But then we have got duped by staff and relatives too, so I always wonder that should make us trust outsiders more, hai na?
    Mayuri

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a person who helps more than spending for myself, but mostly for students only. I feel eductaing a child is the best thing we can do to that child. Launching SIM Organics This April

    *Menaka Bharathi *

    *SimpleIndianMom*

    ReplyDelete
  25. The people who scam others in the name of charity cast a bad impression on the few people who are trying to do something good. And that's precisely the reason why I and many others wouldn't give money away. And the other side that you showed is pretty true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a "No Soliciting' sign in my window and refuse to open the door to anyone who ignores it. We give on our own terms to the causes we champion. That said, stores often have charity drives and we always give when asked, there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by :)

Select to parse the code (not required if code is already parsed):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

A to Z 2019

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

Follow on Insta!

Instagram Follow on Instagram

Connect @ Facebook

About Me

Boisterous Bee
View my complete profile
© Geetika Gupta. Powered by Blogger.

All Time Favorites

Blog Archive

Footsteps

Featured post

R- Rogue

It was my last semester in college. Finally, completing the fashion designing course was like a dream come true. I remember the day four y...

See what they're Talking

Labels

#AtoZChallenge (73) Happiness (53) Dreams (40) Feelings and Emotions (39) Love (35) Fun (33) Poetry (33) AtoZChallenge (31) YeahWrite (31) 101 words (30) Blogchatter (29) Expressions (28) Haiku (28) A to Z Challenge 2016 (27) NoMo (27) Life (26) Musings (23) HonestPost (22) Fiction (21) #WriteTribe (20) Random (20) #MondayMusings (18) Hope (18) Positivity (18) Thoughts (18) Family (17) Society (17) Writing (16) Reflections (15) Relationship (15) Struggle (15) Cherish (14) Friendship (14) Contentment (13) Creativity and Inspiration (12) Half Marathon (12) woman (12) Blogadda (11) Sad (11) Magpie Tales (10) Playful (10) Passion (9) Poster (9) Travel (9) Friday Reflections (8) Gratitude Circle (8) Microblog Mondays (8) Wordy Wednesday (8) Love for Myself (7) MicroFiction (7) Self-doubt (7) Students (7) Work (7) Connection (6) Conservatism (6) Reality (6) Social cause (6) Class (5) Courage (5) Dating (5) Exciting (5) Inspiration (5) Parenting (5) Women Empowerment (5) Birthdays (4) Togetheness (4) WOW (4) my take (4) #100 words onSaturday (3) Award (3) Betrayal (3) Disconnected (3) Food (3) Friday Fictioneers (3) Gift (3) Hurt (3) Karma (3) Published (3) Routine (3) Tears (3) recognition (3) 42 words (2) Coffee (2) Dog's love (2) Fear (2) Feminism (2) Guilty (2) Humour (2) Kiss (2) New Years (2) Silence (2) Surprise (2) Wordless Wednesday (2) Writer's Ezine (2) Book Review (1) Farewell (1) IndiBlogger (1) Resolutions (1) Revenge (1) Sunday Stealing (1) Visual Verse (1) Womensweb (1)

AddToAny