Tuesday 25 April 2017

U- Understand


Print
One fine day, just when I was about to leave after my lecture from the center, a student came rushing to me. I could see her wary eyes and knew that she wanted to talk about something. As the exams were approaching, I thought it must be the stress of the syllabus. I allowed her to speak her mind and be all ears to her. What I learned next literally moved me, to the extent that I still think of her sometimes.

This girl, let’s call her Kavya, was 21 and lived with her parents. A confident, vibrant and an extremely hardworking girl she was in my class. She never understood anything at once but she never left the class without understanding her concepts. That is what I loved about her. But in spite of all the efforts, she was never able to score well in her tests and it was that day when I learned why!

First, she asked me about how to go about with her syllabus and the number of hours she needs to give in a day. I suggested her a few ways that she could follow in her routine like keeping away all the distractions while studying (phones, gadgets, etc), making a short doable timetable and following it religiously, keeping short breaks in between and let her mind get back with all the energy. But then I learned that she didn’t have a personal room to herself where she could sit and study peacefully. She stayed in a joint family and it always seemed like a party affair in the house 24*7. But what I couldn’t understand was that if there is a child or a student in the house, how could someone not let them study and give some peace?

Source
Talking to her further, I found out about her past. Kavya was a married girl. She married a guy she loved at the age of 18. Yes! She was only 18 when she eloped with the boy. The boy was a good guy who belonged to a good family and earned fairly well. The moment Kavya left her house; her family abandoned her and refused to keep any relations with her.

But destiny had some other plans for her! It was only after a month of her marriage, she lost her husband in a road accident! Devastated, as she was, bearing it all alone, just at the age of 18! Her in-laws blamed her stars for everything that happened with their son and asked her to leave the house. Her family wasn’t very happy with what happened and took her (because they were not left with any choice). And since then, all they have been doing to her is say cuss words, disrespect her in every way and treat her like a piece of garbage... they believed that the girl was good for nothing and couldn't do anything with her life. Kavya was any way guilty of everything that happened in her life, and that is why didn't say much to her family.

She wanted to study but no one supported her. She had no source of income and so she decided to take tuition classes for pre-primary students in order to have something in her hand. Her evenings went away teaching the little kids and later evenings went off making dinner for herself. No one in the house fed her. She made her own breakfast, lunch, and dinner and did other household stuff. Doing it all didn’t leave her much time to study. With the money she collected, she paid the coaching class fee and then later the book fees, all with her own money. Not a single soul in the family was either happy or supportive of anything. But she was determined to do something. She accepted her mistakes but it wasn’t her fault if her husband died!

Her family said that it was her karma because of which all of this happened in her life and that, it was meant to happen that way, that she can’t do anything fruitful with her life and is simply a waste in the house!

She always kept quiet and thought of giving an answer with her results. Sadly, she didn’t pass. And then she decided to give it another shot.

When I heard her, I was left speechless. I felt helpless! I gave her a hug! It was that day when I felt so strongly about anything in a long time. I agree, she shouldn’t have run away from the house. It was totally wrong on her part but her husband dying wasn’t her fault! She realized her mistake and was beyond sorry for that. Why was it so difficult for the parents to forgive her? Why is it so hard to understand their daughter, just for once! What’s done is done and no one can do anything about it. 
Source
What they can do is punish her if it gives them peace and move on! The girl feels miserable and just expects a little bit of understanding from her parents.

Today, she is working on other exams and is still struggling to earn that respect that she lost years ago! Do you think she deserves another chance?

Cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to my Blog! This A to Z Challenge, my theme is Let’s see the other Side’. Through this theme, I'm trying to giving voice lot of things that go around us and yet I can't do much to bring about the change. I feel, sharing my thoughts in my space here will somewhere make someone think and bring about the change we all want to see!
where I’ll be sharing about the daily nuances that we’ve been seeing in the same way since 1990’s! (:P) But this time you’re going to ponder over it a bit differently.

Feel free to express your thoughts and I'd be all ears!

I hope you have a great time here! 

14 Discussion

  1. That is sad! But kudos for her uncrushable spirit, and her desire to get an education - hope she does qualify this time.

    Nilanjana
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is heartbreaking. Kudos to her spirit and her will to improve. I hope she soars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a domitable spirit this young girl has. I would have packed up in despair over such treatment of fate and family.
    Love your heartwarming tales everyday GG.
    ​Unzymotic Road Trip

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out for this girl. The parents really are being too hard on her. C'mon, kids make mistakes and they realise them in time too. They should always be given a fair chance. I agree with Shalini here, I love your tales too but more than that I enjoy the way your narrate them. There's an innocent quality in the way you express yourself, Geetika. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sucks that this should happen in real life even today. Hats off to the girl for trying so hard... I hope she finds someone wonderful in life

    A Uruguayan called Jose

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to this girl, she is paying a crazy price for a relatively smaller mistake 😣

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yupp. Some parents do that. I have come across some personally too. They can be so unforgiving of their own child. Kudos to Kavya, that she hasn't yet given up. I hope she succeeds and is able to move out on her own.
    Happy AtoZing!
    My post for today @ A to Z of Happiness: Unplug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sad..but these things are every common in our society. There will be many Kavyas around but the good thing is she didnt give up and is a strong girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sad. But I agree with you. Running away was her mistake but how was she the reason for her husband's death? There must be a lot of women suffering silently like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a sad story. I have amazing parents and I know they'd love me even if I made choices that they wouldn't agree with. It's hard for me to imagine what it would be like to have parents who don't love and support their children.

    Visiting from the A to Z Challenge. See my “U” post here: https://lydiahowe.com/2017/04/25/u-is-for-uncle-izaac-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  11. She not only deserves a second chance but all the happiness in the world as well! And I hope she gets it too!
    This story left me misty - eyed, GG...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What tremendous courage and patience this girl exhibits. I'm so amazed. Is that a true story or fiction? I gather it must be a true story, the way you have written, but I wanted to be sure.
    Nevertheless, this girl totally has won my heart and all my best wishes are with her. God helps those, those who help themselves. Someday, somewhere along the lines God will reward her for her perseverance in one way or another. God bless this woman!!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Underdogs of the Literary World

    Regards,
    Pikakshi
    Readers of the Night

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sad is that!! Life is so harsh for some people. Love her indomitable spirit and wish her the very best in life ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course you need to give her a chance and more than that I think who are the others to give her a chance, she needs to thin of her furtue and go ahead without waiting for acceptance or aknowledgement

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by :)

Select to parse the code (not required if code is already parsed):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

A to Z 2019

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

Follow on Insta!

Instagram Follow on Instagram

Connect @ Facebook

About Me

Boisterous Bee
View my complete profile
© Geetika Gupta. Powered by Blogger.

All Time Favorites

Blog Archive

Footsteps

Featured post

R- Rogue

It was my last semester in college. Finally, completing the fashion designing course was like a dream come true. I remember the day four y...

See what they're Talking

Labels

#AtoZChallenge (73) Happiness (53) Dreams (40) Feelings and Emotions (39) Love (35) Fun (33) Poetry (33) AtoZChallenge (31) YeahWrite (31) 101 words (30) Blogchatter (29) Expressions (28) Haiku (28) A to Z Challenge 2016 (27) NoMo (27) Life (26) Musings (23) HonestPost (22) Fiction (21) #WriteTribe (20) Random (20) #MondayMusings (18) Hope (18) Positivity (18) Thoughts (18) Family (17) Society (17) Writing (16) Reflections (15) Relationship (15) Struggle (15) Cherish (14) Friendship (14) Contentment (13) Creativity and Inspiration (12) Half Marathon (12) woman (12) Blogadda (11) Sad (11) Magpie Tales (10) Playful (10) Passion (9) Poster (9) Travel (9) Friday Reflections (8) Gratitude Circle (8) Microblog Mondays (8) Wordy Wednesday (8) Love for Myself (7) MicroFiction (7) Self-doubt (7) Students (7) Work (7) Connection (6) Conservatism (6) Reality (6) Social cause (6) Class (5) Courage (5) Dating (5) Exciting (5) Inspiration (5) Parenting (5) Women Empowerment (5) Birthdays (4) Togetheness (4) WOW (4) my take (4) #100 words onSaturday (3) Award (3) Betrayal (3) Disconnected (3) Food (3) Friday Fictioneers (3) Gift (3) Hurt (3) Karma (3) Published (3) Routine (3) Tears (3) recognition (3) 42 words (2) Coffee (2) Dog's love (2) Fear (2) Feminism (2) Guilty (2) Humour (2) Kiss (2) New Years (2) Silence (2) Surprise (2) Wordless Wednesday (2) Writer's Ezine (2) Book Review (1) Farewell (1) IndiBlogger (1) Resolutions (1) Revenge (1) Sunday Stealing (1) Visual Verse (1) Womensweb (1)

AddToAny