Friday 14 April 2017

L- Lonely


Print
Welcome to my Blog! I’m so happy to have you here! This A to Z Challenge, I’m going to give you a ride and take you to all the places untouched! My theme this year is Let’s see the other Side’where I’ll be sharing about the daily nuances that we’ve been seeing in the same way since 1990’s! (:P) But this time you’re going to ponder over it a bit differently.

Feel free to express your thoughts and I'd be all ears!

I hope you have a great time here!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  

After getting married and visiting a number of houses ample enough to draw conclusions, one thing I find peculiar is the proximity that the lady of the house shares with the house staff or maid.

Sure there are daily tidbits involved, the daily cat fight kind of scenario as well but other times there are moments when the men of the house leave for work and children are busy with their work/college/school or activities and that’s when the lady of the house is left alone. Also, here I'm referring to the ones who're in their late 40's or 50's or more than that. Of course, the younger generation has multiple options to while away their time. 

Now, standing on one toe and doing the house chores solely, sure makes the day exhausting for her. And in the midst of this, when she finds solace in talking to the only person available in the giant house, someone who is all ears to her and is willing to give that patient ear, hearing all the family woes, not to mention her companion who gives her the news or the gossip of the society, by adding some spice to it, making her day a bit spicy is none other than her house maid!

Often, the kids or the men of the house find it strange and don’t really understand what pleasure does one derive by having a futile, not-so-productive, completely baseless conversation with someone they refuse to sit next to their side?!

Source
While their thought process isn’t really wrong, but the fact is, man is a social animal. Men go out and have a work life, women who’re working have a regular change in environment too where you get some free time from the daily dal-chawal conversations but the ones who stay at home... their only pastime or the thing they really look forward to is their personal BBC news channel, who would cook up stories and report about the various activities going on around her! They find it the only way to deal with the loneliness that creeps in the house once they’re all alone!

Do we ever look beyond this? Or just simply lampoon the ones indulging in it?

I don’t stay home much but I do get what they go through. And I never question them. All it needs is a bit of kindness from our side and they will feel much better about it!

Don’t you think so? Tell me what’s your take on it?

Cheers

16 Discussion

  1. Never thought of it that way, actually. Makes sense, yes. That outlet to let out some thoughts is perhaps the only one they might have.

    My friends who do stay at home much usually turn to reading or music as their pastime, but I agree that not judging people and giving them that compassion and kindness is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, when I moved to Bangalore and had no friends or family I used to wait for my maid to come in just so i would have another human to talk to! Thankfully i stopped after i realised that it wasn't right.
    Love how you present the other side of everything, GG!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely our helps can sometimes prove to be good friends and empaths and vice-versa
    http://poojasharmarao.blogspot.in/2017/04/l-lewis-carroll-inspirational-writers.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Vinay, I never really considered it from that angle but yes, its a relevant and valid point, I must say.

    Godyears.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand this very well and what's the harm. They are individuals like us and sometimes give you real good suggestions based on their life experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it makes sense because a person needs someone to talk to. They can't just be there without some sort of conversation and news about the world outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never give it a thought coz I myself end up chatting up with my domestic help and peons at work place. I enjoy conversations with a wide variety of people whether they are friends, colleagues, relatives or domestic help. But you're probably right, to homemakers who do not have other channels to converse with, this one turns out to be a good option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes..This is true. These days it's still different and I have seen good friend circle etc. But it is not easy for them at this stage of life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me being a chatter box;I just love to talk to my domestic helper,the house keeping people everyone..I do ask them if they ate anything that's the first question i ask my domestic helper enters my house....I mean it is nice to share thoughts with them tooo

    Launching SIM Organics This April

    *Menaka Bharathi *

    *SimpleIndianMom*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm. Very interesting take on Lonely Geets... it's true one needs a outlet n often I have seen ppl start talking to themselves too.

    Leather that weathers in Pushkar

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often have long conversations with my maid, we even eat breakfast together. She's an intelligent woman.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting perspective, Geetika. To be honest, I had never given it much thought, but the way you put it, it makes complete sense. Love your theme for AtoZ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talking to someone is the best way to ward off loneliness and who is better than your maid who is an integral part of your life. I dont do it usually, but I do listen to my help's woes and issues and do give her advice/suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha, True, women staying at home do feel lonely. When I am at home I make it a point of not talking much with the maids, especially because I really find no common topics o speak with them, except if their children are studying well or not.
    Launching SIM Organics This April

    *Menaka Bharathi *

    *SimpleIndianMom*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reminds me of my mother in law! Lol! But I still don't agree that one should discuss things with house helps. They already look around and our homes and have enough to gossip in other homes. So it's a no no for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by :)

Select to parse the code (not required if code is already parsed):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

A to Z 2019

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

Follow on Insta!

Instagram Follow on Instagram

Connect @ Facebook

About Me

Boisterous Bee
View my complete profile
© Geetika Gupta. Powered by Blogger.

All Time Favorites

Blog Archive

Footsteps

Featured post

R- Rogue

It was my last semester in college. Finally, completing the fashion designing course was like a dream come true. I remember the day four y...

See what they're Talking

Labels

#AtoZChallenge (73) Happiness (53) Dreams (40) Feelings and Emotions (39) Love (35) Fun (33) Poetry (33) AtoZChallenge (31) YeahWrite (31) 101 words (30) Blogchatter (29) Expressions (28) Haiku (28) A to Z Challenge 2016 (27) NoMo (27) Life (26) Musings (23) HonestPost (22) Fiction (21) #WriteTribe (20) Random (20) #MondayMusings (18) Hope (18) Positivity (18) Thoughts (18) Family (17) Society (17) Writing (16) Reflections (15) Relationship (15) Struggle (15) Cherish (14) Friendship (14) Contentment (13) Creativity and Inspiration (12) Half Marathon (12) woman (12) Blogadda (11) Sad (11) Magpie Tales (10) Playful (10) Passion (9) Poster (9) Travel (9) Friday Reflections (8) Gratitude Circle (8) Microblog Mondays (8) Wordy Wednesday (8) Love for Myself (7) MicroFiction (7) Self-doubt (7) Students (7) Work (7) Connection (6) Conservatism (6) Reality (6) Social cause (6) Class (5) Courage (5) Dating (5) Exciting (5) Inspiration (5) Parenting (5) Women Empowerment (5) Birthdays (4) Togetheness (4) WOW (4) my take (4) #100 words onSaturday (3) Award (3) Betrayal (3) Disconnected (3) Food (3) Friday Fictioneers (3) Gift (3) Hurt (3) Karma (3) Published (3) Routine (3) Tears (3) recognition (3) 42 words (2) Coffee (2) Dog's love (2) Fear (2) Feminism (2) Guilty (2) Humour (2) Kiss (2) New Years (2) Silence (2) Surprise (2) Wordless Wednesday (2) Writer's Ezine (2) Book Review (1) Farewell (1) IndiBlogger (1) Resolutions (1) Revenge (1) Sunday Stealing (1) Visual Verse (1) Womensweb (1)

AddToAny