Monday 19 September 2016

Success for You is? #MondayMusings


Print
At this moment I’m occupied. With lots of stuff and yet I waste my time so much. I should read the lined up books for reviews, I should study for the exam I’m planning to give and I know this is my only chance to give the exam, God knows what’s planned for later. This being the only chance, yet, I’m not getting serious about it! When will I get serious I’m wondering? I want to work hard, but a simple thought of sitting beside A in the room distracts me. Why does this happen with me all the time? I should concentrate on my work, right, and yet I seem to put everything aside when he is around. I don’t feel like doing anything. Does this prove that I don’t love myself enough?

Why do I always take a step behind when the moment arrives of working hard, burning the midnight lamp, and build that laid back attitude of taking things for granted and then cribbing later of not being where I wanted to be, not having the things I wanted to have and not achieving the goals I wanted to for so long?!

Is there a defect in my system? Does this happen with you as well?

Sometimes I wonder, what really is success?

Google says:

the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.

Yes, to a lot extent. What if all you wanted was to be happy? And make less money, live in a small house, buy a small car, spending extravagantly is simply not your thing. Moreover, you probably don't want that much amount of money! I know it's rare, but what if?

Is it all monetary? Happiness is often put behind. Contentment is just another word. Success is often measured by the amount of money one makes.

Being busy, working all day, earning that respect, and being recognized for your work sounds all immaterial when it comes to measuring the amount of money one is making. Is the person able to pay all their bills? Is the person able to feed the family well, fulfilling all the demands? If not, one is deemed to be unsuccessful. It’s sad. It hurts and it sucks as well!

Take writing for example. Over these years, I’ve discovered my love for writing. I don’t really know if it’s my passion. But when it comes to paying, it barely pays me anything. Does this make my writing bad? Not at all. But because I’m not making enough money out of my writing, I won’t be called as a successful writer. No matter how much contentment I get doing it. Forget about others, I still have second thoughts of calling myself as a writer in the first place!

The moment writing will start paying me good money, I might be termed as, you know what we’re talking about, successful!

You’re not convinced, are you? Let’s take another example. 

There is the man who loves to drive. He is so fond of driving that he becomes a driver one day. He makes frugal money but he is happy with it. He is happy with his life, with his employer, with his family. But is he a successful person in the eyes of the world? I bet not! The moment he will switch jobs and settle where he could tap millions, he might sure be. And then his example would circulate all over the newspapers, colony, relatives, etc! 

Sounds ironical, right?

What do you think of that? Do you agree with my thoughts? Yes or no, share your views below!

P.S: It’s Monday! I don’t want to bug you more! This is enough for the day :P

Linking with #MondayMusings

I am taking my Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter.


Cheers

28 Discussion

  1. Lots of food for thought here. I can identify with you about not pushing myself towards my goals. However, about success, I believe that we all need to define what it really means to us as individuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true in every sense Corinne. But I guess, there is definition that the world has defined and everyone has to succumb to it many times!

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. I'm not a go-getter myself. I don't exert myself too much especially where studies is concerned. And you know what... what seemed like the end of the world once upon a time, in hindsight was never really the only option.
    Yes, I do agree with you for the most part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true but if that had been achieved, life would have been much better!
      I'm glad you could relate to the post Roshan!

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. You brought up a very valid point buddy and at many an occasions I felt like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Corinne. I think all of us need to define what success means to us. I'm much more interested in my own view of what I deem successful that those around me. The opinions around a person can change with the wind but I know who I am and that doesn't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to you Angel. It's way more difficult for me to function like that. I wish I could! Kudos to your spirit!

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. I am pushing myself hard to finish the things lined up - finish the book I'm reading (it's getting a little boring) so that I cant pick up other review copies, finish scheduling posts, start on a craft project! But seriously what is success - is it just a job, promotion, money? We need to define what it is for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Tina. I'm so exhausted pushing myself meeting the deadlines and trying to be present everywhere at all times!
      And still it feels its not working!

      All the best to you!

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. This is an eternal debate and we have no answer to this . Nice write up. Keep them coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anindya! It's a pleasure to hear from you!

      Cheers

      Delete
  7. Success is something whose definition changes from person to person but earning a bread for Family is a responsibility. If one's favorite Job or interest is not sufficient to pay the bills, he or she needs to search for second option. Success for me will be the day when I get to win over my anger spikes. Nice post Geets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said Upasna. It sure depends from person to person, but sometimes I feel, is it enough?
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Cheers

      Delete
  8. Yes Geet, I share same thoughts like you. Even many things are piled up but either my inner internet or external people drive me crazy and my focus get hazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone out there is feeling like me!!! I'm glad you could relate with this post!

      Cheers

      Delete
  9. Geet..a thought provoking post..Its really ironical but success is only measured by what we have achieved and not by how happy we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I don't like. No matter how happy the person is, his success is only determined in terms of the money he is making!

      Cheers

      Delete
  10. Isn't success linked with our happiness and contentment in some way or the other? But then, your examples have got me thinking otherwise. And hey, same pinch on having too much work and doing nothing much about it. :P Hope you sort things out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too girl. I know I'm not gonna get a solution to my woes anytime soon! Glad to know you find it relatable!

      Cheers

      Delete
  11. I know how you feel .. I have started something of my own and like today I have wasted the whole day doing nothing .. yet I have been busy doing something which i should have not done.

    and Now I know I will be spending time till the midnight trying to finsih off what I was supposed to do .. maybe something wrong with me when there is so much at stake at the moment.

    I dont know what to say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Take a breath and calm down. Look for the moment and you will get the answer!
      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Cheers

      Delete
  12. People often measure success from someone else's eyes. For the same question different people will have different parameters. So it's better you ask yourself these questions and be truthful to yourself... If this is your dream... If it makes you happy... If money is enough... If this is what you have always assumed for... All then you are successful :) good luck for the exam and go study ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! I'm doing everything but studying! Please, please, please!! Chide me more, scold me a bit and make me study Raj!! Thanks for the nudge by the way, that too is good!

      Cheers

      Delete
  13. As a student, I've succumbed to that pressure of getting top grades too many times. I've finally understood that it doesn't matter. My definition of success now, is going to sleep wiser or more knowledgeable than I woke up. It's quite simple, and yet more difficult than just scoring top grades :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point. Even after giving in to all the things that are required, there is something that we leave behind and it's never enough!

      Cheers

      Delete
  14. Interesting point about success. Personal success, social success bind us.They make us want to do things which may make us look successful but not necessarily happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Amrita! We do things but aren't probably happy and the things that make us happy aren't really defined as success!

      Cheers

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by :)

Select to parse the code (not required if code is already parsed):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

A to Z 2019

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

Follow on Insta!

Instagram Follow on Instagram

Connect @ Facebook

About Me

Boisterous Bee
View my complete profile
© Geetika Gupta. Powered by Blogger.

All Time Favorites

Footsteps

Featured post

R- Rogue

It was my last semester in college. Finally, completing the fashion designing course was like a dream come true. I remember the day four y...

See what they're Talking

Labels

#AtoZChallenge (73) Happiness (53) Dreams (40) Feelings and Emotions (39) Love (35) Fun (33) Poetry (33) AtoZChallenge (31) YeahWrite (31) 101 words (30) Blogchatter (29) Expressions (28) Haiku (28) A to Z Challenge 2016 (27) NoMo (27) Life (26) Musings (23) HonestPost (22) Fiction (21) #WriteTribe (20) Random (20) #MondayMusings (18) Hope (18) Positivity (18) Thoughts (18) Family (17) Society (17) Writing (16) Reflections (15) Relationship (15) Struggle (15) Cherish (14) Friendship (14) Contentment (13) Creativity and Inspiration (12) Half Marathon (12) woman (12) Blogadda (11) Sad (11) Magpie Tales (10) Playful (10) Passion (9) Poster (9) Travel (9) Friday Reflections (8) Gratitude Circle (8) Microblog Mondays (8) Wordy Wednesday (8) Love for Myself (7) MicroFiction (7) Self-doubt (7) Students (7) Work (7) Connection (6) Conservatism (6) Reality (6) Social cause (6) Class (5) Courage (5) Dating (5) Exciting (5) Inspiration (5) Parenting (5) Women Empowerment (5) Birthdays (4) Togetheness (4) WOW (4) my take (4) #100 words onSaturday (3) Award (3) Betrayal (3) Disconnected (3) Food (3) Friday Fictioneers (3) Gift (3) Hurt (3) Karma (3) Published (3) Routine (3) Tears (3) recognition (3) 42 words (2) Coffee (2) Dog's love (2) Fear (2) Feminism (2) Guilty (2) Humour (2) Kiss (2) New Years (2) Silence (2) Surprise (2) Wordless Wednesday (2) Writer's Ezine (2) Book Review (1) Farewell (1) IndiBlogger (1) Resolutions (1) Revenge (1) Sunday Stealing (1) Visual Verse (1) Womensweb (1)

AddToAny