Sunday 7 May 2017

Are you the Change?


Print
“Be the change you wish to see in the world” is one quote that resonates with me like none other.

I remember I was a child when I read this, not sure where but it caught my attention and made so much sense. While growing up, I could see the flaws in our society, especially for the girls and it always remained in my heart. What also remained was the desire to bring the change.

There was a time when I was really adamant at making things right around me, prevent things which couldn’t be justified and wanted everyone to change according to my thought process. And I failed... miserably!

It felt like the moment of truth... I realized it is so much simpler to make kids understand things and tell them what is right or wrong. It’s also easier to make them admit their mistake but at the same time, it becomes quite a task when we talk about adults. Everyone thinks they’re right... even if they aren’t they wouldn’t accept that because they think it will make them small in front of the world.

Even if people are ready to accept their mistakes they hardly want to change. Call it their habit or sheer laziness or pure ignorance but they like the system they’re adapted to and don’t want to come out of their comfort zone. And that is why change is so much resisted.

Everyone has a problem with the system yet no one wants to make the first move. Everyone wants to live their lives on their own terms and yet no one comes out publicly and eventually becomes part of the so-called society!

Everyone wants to be a part of the cattle gait and shoo away even the thought of doing things which might sound quirky or bizarre to the society.

It was never easy... to change things around and so I changed myself. I always opted for non-conventional options and wanted to do something that doesn’t follow the typical societal norm.

I did not like the conservatism around me and I became a liberal. I believe if someone wants to do something (which may not follow the usual path) then it is totally up to them to decide, it is simply their prerogative to make a choice of what they want to do with their lives and head forward... It is not our business. Period. And that is the reason why I never question/judge anyone’s decision for that matter. I totally get it if people do things for the way they do.

Source
Also, when I face difficult situations, deep in my heart, I always wish if someone understood me better and that is the reason why I try to be the person who understands people in spite of all the odds against them. I always try to empathize with them and make an effort to do my bit... because I believe the rest shall automatically follow.

Change starts with us... within us... through us... by us... for us!

And it is not just about the thoughts and stuff, it is also about doing your part... simple acts like not wasting water, electricity etc, not loitering around, being kind to others and countless things that we do in our daily lives. This bit by bit would bring a huge change, I sense!

As Dalai Lama quotes, ‘If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”

Tell me which is that one quote that moves you and you live by it? Tell me about the quote that shapes you, that you breathe through day and night?

Cheers 

This post has been selected as the WOW entry by Blogadda.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.’

20 Discussion

  1. This post resonates with me when being a liberal and surrounded by conservative beings. One should be the change and let others do what they want. We have to be the change and move towards self growth. As for others, let them be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're able to relate with what I write, Vishal.

      Always glad to hear from you :)

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Change always begins with us :) I so agree with you. If I wanted my child to listen to me, I had to learn to stop yelling. If I wanted a better relationship with my spouse, I had to examine my flaws and work on them. Plus, the biggest lesson of all: Don't sit around waiting for change to happen. Make it happen.

    Well said, Geetika.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shailaja! I second with all your thoughts. It's very easy to find fault in others... what we can do is change ourselves to see the change around us.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. The mosquito quote made me laugh! The Dalai Lama could not have been more correct! I agree that we must be the change we want to see. Well written!

    Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I too laughed when read it the first time. Thank you :)

      Cheers

      Delete
  4. I couldn't agree more. If we are not ready to change, how can we expect one. I always try to do something if I am not okay with something. Whether it is writing or talking - we can sit over what doesn't resonate with us and play the blame game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Playing the blame game is the easiest thing to do... Glad to know this about you, Parul :)

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. It is so true, most people don't empathize with others and judge them without knowing them. Our choices are completely our own and it doesn't matter what others might think, and yes the change starts from within us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Dalai Lama quotes, ‘If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”is an amzing quote.Society i believe is made of us .you me everyone.Lets do one thing to make us better,the place where you live better.If we all did that ,the world will be better.One day.Lovely pot Gitika.

    ReplyDelete
  7. True change begins with us. I loved your thoughts on not judging anyone for their actions and decisions. It's a wonderful trait to have. I wish more people were like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is too much Raj! I am not that different... I just try... I'm happy to hear this from you and I feel, you too are like this :)

      Cheers

      Delete
  8. To initiate change, we need to be the change. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely post that gives us a glimpse into how you think, GG. Very impressive. Many years ago my Dad had told me ' you can't change anyone or anything. You can only change yourself, and it will be a difficult process, but worth it.' Your thoughts in this post have just explained that, beautifully.
    Love reading you, GG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only wise to change ourselves than changing the world. Thank you is just an understatement for the way you make me feel every time with your comments!

      Love you, M :)

      Cheers

      Delete
  10. Very well said Geets - its all too easy to indulge in armchair politics of how things are not right or never will be. But who ever gets up from that chair to make a change?
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, S! Those who work for the change are the real heroes around us!

      Cheers

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by :)

Select to parse the code (not required if code is already parsed):

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

A to Z 2019

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

Follow on Insta!

Instagram Follow on Instagram

Connect @ Facebook

About Me

Boisterous Bee
View my complete profile
© Geetika Gupta. Powered by Blogger.

All Time Favorites

Footsteps

Featured post

R- Rogue

It was my last semester in college. Finally, completing the fashion designing course was like a dream come true. I remember the day four y...

See what they're Talking

Labels

#AtoZChallenge (73) Happiness (53) Dreams (40) Feelings and Emotions (39) Love (35) Fun (33) Poetry (33) AtoZChallenge (31) YeahWrite (31) 101 words (30) Blogchatter (29) Expressions (28) Haiku (28) A to Z Challenge 2016 (27) NoMo (27) Life (26) Musings (23) HonestPost (22) Fiction (21) #WriteTribe (20) Random (20) #MondayMusings (18) Hope (18) Positivity (18) Thoughts (18) Family (17) Society (17) Writing (16) Reflections (15) Relationship (15) Struggle (15) Cherish (14) Friendship (14) Contentment (13) Creativity and Inspiration (12) Half Marathon (12) woman (12) Blogadda (11) Sad (11) Magpie Tales (10) Playful (10) Passion (9) Poster (9) Travel (9) Friday Reflections (8) Gratitude Circle (8) Microblog Mondays (8) Wordy Wednesday (8) Love for Myself (7) MicroFiction (7) Self-doubt (7) Students (7) Work (7) Connection (6) Conservatism (6) Reality (6) Social cause (6) Class (5) Courage (5) Dating (5) Exciting (5) Inspiration (5) Parenting (5) Women Empowerment (5) Birthdays (4) Togetheness (4) WOW (4) my take (4) #100 words onSaturday (3) Award (3) Betrayal (3) Disconnected (3) Food (3) Friday Fictioneers (3) Gift (3) Hurt (3) Karma (3) Published (3) Routine (3) Tears (3) recognition (3) 42 words (2) Coffee (2) Dog's love (2) Fear (2) Feminism (2) Guilty (2) Humour (2) Kiss (2) New Years (2) Silence (2) Surprise (2) Wordless Wednesday (2) Writer's Ezine (2) Book Review (1) Farewell (1) IndiBlogger (1) Resolutions (1) Revenge (1) Sunday Stealing (1) Visual Verse (1) Womensweb (1)

AddToAny